Job Announcement: Environmental Justice Associate Announcement
Date: June 18, 2021
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and first review will begin: July 13, 2021
Conservation Voters for Idaho (CVI) protects Idaho’s environment and quality of life by informing, engaging and empowering citizens who care about our natural heritage, thriving democracy, and healthy communities. CVI is seeking a dynamic and motivated individual to join our team and ensure equity is addressed in Idaho’s clean energy transition.
The Environmental Justice Associate will build authentic, long-term, and mutually beneficial relationships with the communities in Idaho that face the brunt of climate change, and work with these communities to ensure all clean energy and climate policies in Idaho address inequities. The position will ensure these communities are represented, listened to, and valued within clean energy policy.
This position will focus first on the City of Boise and expand to other communities throughout Idaho.
● Ensure the City of Boise institutes equitable clean energy action goals and policies within the Climate Action Division.
● Work closely with CVI Team members to further CVI’s environmental justice work throughout the state.
● Identify and collaborate with the demographic and geographic communities most impacted by environmental pollution who should be prioritized in state and local climate action investments.
● Gather information from affected communities to support CVI’s environmental justice goals:
○ Organize community listening sessions to gather the perspectives of the communities impacted by environmental pollution. ○ Educate these communities (and others) about environmental impacts on their health and wellbeing they may be unaware of.
○ Formulate professional reports and data to ensure the perspectives of these communities are heard and are an active part of policy decision-making.
○ Develop fact sheets, briefings, blog, social media posts, website materials and other written products to support program implementation.
○ Work with cities and utility companies to ensure state and local-based policies are rooted in principles that prioritize equity and center the voices of the individuals from the affected communities.
● Ensure clean energy transitions in Idaho are people-focused in order to prioritize communities who have borne the brunt of air, water, and land pollution.
● Work with CVI Communications staff to uplift the voices of communities most impacted by climate change and environmental pollution, as well as communicate on the ongoing work of the program through public facing materials.
● Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with key allies and decision-makers.
● Actively participate in meetings and networks by bringing in the voices of Idahoans not usually represented in clean energy conversations to advance program goals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Applicants should have:
● Passion for the organization’s mission, understanding of environmental justice issues along with a desire to be an ambassador for CVI in this work.
● Demonstrate cultural competency and a commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. A strong commitment to racial justice, equity, and inclusion is required.
● Demonstrate an understanding of local and state political and cultural dynamics.
● 1 year of experience in community organizing.
● Develop collaborative relationships with a diverse set of community leaders, elected officials, policymakers, organizations, and activists.
● Build strong personal relationships that are dependent on trust, mutual respect and understanding.
● Demonstrate leadership and coordination skills.
● Experience facilitating meetings.
● Strong writing and communication skills – including public speaking experience.
● Good project management skills on complex issues with a focus on details, organization, and problem solving.
● Ability to represent CVI in a professional and reliable manner in all spaces.
● Work independently and as part of a team.
● Ability to work a flexible schedule and travel within Idaho as needed (evening and weekend hours will be necessary).
● Excellent working knowledge of Google Suite.
● 1-2 years of experience in environmental justice work.
● Fluent in Spanish.
● Experience creating strategies/campaigns to advance strategic goals that vary by geographic or cultural contexts.
Compensation: This is a full-time position based in Boise. Our full staff is currently working remotely due to COVID-19. Staff will be returning to the office once it is safe to do so with some ability to work from home or outside the office. Salary range is $31,200 – $42,208 and will be dependent upon experience.
Competitive benefits include healthcare with CVI paying the full premium for the employee, Retirement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Reimbursement Account, generous time off including PTO, personal days, and holidays, and ability to work a flexible schedule.
CVI is committed to providing a fulfilling professional experience for our staff. Investing in our employees, supporting their professional growth, and creating a workplace that is committed to excellence and works to create lasting change for Idaho is the foundation of our work. All CVI employees have access to a number of trainings, workshops, and professional development opportunities relevant to their position and career goals.
This position may require some evening and weekend work.
Send a resume, three professional references, and a cover letter that addresses your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Environmental Justice Associate Position.”