Job Announcement: Communications Manager
Download the Job Description
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Conservation Voters for Idaho (CVI) protects Idaho’s environment and quality of life by informing, engaging and empowering citizens who care about our natural heritage and healthy communities. CVI is seeking an experienced, full-time Communications Manager to oversee our communications and outreach. The Manager will ensure that our communications are proactive, clear, engaging, impactful, adhere to racial justice and equity principles, and raise awareness of our organization while increasing our reach and base of support.
The Manager is responsible for developing and implementing strategies related to communications and outreach related to public lands, environmental justice, clean energy, and toxics work as outlined in Conservation Voters for Idaho’s strategic plan. The Manager conveys, develops, and implements an effective communication plan that incorporates the best use of platforms, resources, and storytelling tools under general supervision of the Executive Director.
This position supervises the Communications Coordinator.
Primary Tasks and Areas of Responsibility
- Oversees the organization’s communications plans to highlight the organization’s programs, the people impacted by our programs, the issues we focus on, and the election work we engage in.
- Develops and implements an effective communication plan based on CVI’s Strategic Plan that incorporates the best use of platforms, resources, and storytelling.
- Ensures all activities associated with communications align with organizational goals and objectives including growing supporter base.
- Oversees the creation of marketing materials including managing graphic design projects.
- Ensures consistent brand voice, vision, tone, and aesthetic.
- Evaluates the success of various communication strategies and implements recommendations for improvement.
- Constantly looks for ways to incorporate new approaches and solutions into the organization’s communications processes.
- Connects with journalists and local opinion leaders to create a narrative that highlights bipartisan conservation in Idaho.
- Directs communications strategies to support events, fundraising, and advocacy needs.
- Oversees execution of CVI public and media relations programs.
- Provides media training for organizational representatives.
- Serves as a spokesperson for official response to media inquiries.
- Acts as the final editor for all CVI communications.
Administration & Management
- Supervise the Communications Coordinator and work to ensure staff satisfaction and retention while meeting the goals of CVI including regular one-on-one meetings, performance reviews and performance improvement support as needed.
- Collaborate with other members of the Leadership Team to align departmental strategy or direction with the overall goals and values of the organization.
- Participate in CVI meetings, retreats, etc. as needed and complete all required paperwork.
- Along with the Finance & Operations Director oversee the recruitment, hiring, and interview process of positions under direct supervision and as requested for additional positions at the organization.
- Work with the Finance & Operations Director to develop annual program budgets and to manage program budgets through the year.
- Work with the Executive Director and Development staff to support campaign fundraising needs.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Behaviors
- 5 years experience as a communication specialist with a demonstrated record of progressive achievement including producing content and managing digital marketing campaigns, and in copywriting and editing.
- 2 years experience in supervising and motivating staff.
- Proven leadership and team management skills.
- Experience working for a non-profit or electoral campaign preferred.
- Optimistic approach and flexibility.
- A teamwork mindset.
- Exemplary communication abilities and outgoing, yet poised personality, even under stress.
- Ability to work with a diverse team and juggle multiple priorities with shifting deadlines.
- Excellent organizational abilities and attention to detail.
- Quick thinker and ability to make decisions under pressure.
- Detailed understanding of web design, publication, graphic design and video production.
- Passion for creating informative, accessible content to influence others.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, desktop publishing and graphic production and design (Adobe Creative Suite), WordPress and social media scheduling tools.
- A strong commitment to racial justice, equity, and inclusion and demonstrate an understanding of local and state political and cultural dynamics.
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public affairs, journalism or related areas preferred but not required.
- Certificates in social media management or production, marketing or related areas preferred.
This is a full-time position based in Idaho. CVI offers a hybrid work schedule with both in-office and remote work options.
This is a FLSA exempt position. Salary range is $50,000-$58,000 and will be dependent upon experience. Competitive benefits include healthcare, dental and vision with CVI paying the full premium for the employee, Simple IRA with employer match, Flexible Spending Account, Health Reimbursement Account, generous time off including PTO, personal days, and holidays, and ability to work a flexible schedule.
CVI is committed to providing a fulfilling professional experience for our staff. Investing in our employees, supporting their professional growth, and creating a workplace that is committed to excellence and works to create lasting change for Idaho is the foundation of our work. All CVI employees have access to a number of trainings, workshops, and professional development opportunities relevant to their position and career goals.
This position may require some evening and weekend work.
Send a resume, three professional references, and a cover letter that addresses your interest in the position to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Manager.”
CVI is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a culturally diverse staff. We strongly encourage applications from people of color.