Job Announcement: Campaigns Position
Announcement date: August 3, 2020
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and will be open until filled.
Conservation Voters for Idaho (CVI) protects Idaho’s environment and quality of life by informing, engaging and empowering citizens who care about our natural heritage, thriving democracy, and healthy communities. CVI is seeking a dynamic and motivated individual to join our team and implement our campaign strategy and advance our elections work. The position may be hired at the manager or director level depending on experience.
The ideal candidate for this position has a detailed understanding of political strategy, electoral process, and voter behavior, the ability to work with a wide variety of people, including elected officials from both major parties and the public, and exemplary communication abilities.. The position is responsible for planning and executing CVI’s community organizing and mobilization strategies, electoral work, endorsement process, field work, digital organizing, and data management. They will create field organizing and mobilizing plans that support the organization’s strategic vision, program goals, elections, and other campaigns. The position will share insight into field and campaign work in a compelling and professional manner in donor meetings, assist in grant reports, and present to the board of directors. The position will supervise the Field Associate and support the Voter Outreach Team. The Executive Director will oversee this position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Create field organizing and mobilizing plans that support the organization’s strategic vision, program goals, elections, and other campaigns.
- Create and execute political campaign plans, develop strategies, and utilize best practices to advance the political goals of CVI through winning elections.
- Consult with program staff to meet the field and outreach needs of CVI’s programs.
- Implement field tactics as the primary tools for organizing and mobilizing support for candidates and initiatives including but not limited to phone calls, mail, radio, door-to-door canvassing, digital organizing tools, texting, and emails.
- Oversee joint field campaigns with CVI’s partners.
- Work with the Executive Director and the Communications & Program Director to develop content for campaign messaging.
- Supervise the Field Associate and support the Voter Outreach Team.
- Manage field data to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Lead candidate endorsement process and provide recommendations to the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Identify potential conservation champion candidates and persuade them to run for election.
- Conduct candidate trainings
- Coordinate campaign operations such as tactics determined from polling data, voter mobilization, work with media consultants for campaigns’ paid media plans, including mail, radio, digital, and TV, and other supporting activities.
- Organize, manage, update, and record field and advocacy data with the intention to support CVI’s engagement, efficiency, and efficacy.
- Act as organizational point-person and technical expert for NGP-VAN and EveryAction software, conduct troubleshooting, train users, represent organization to vendor as it relates to organizing and mobilizing.
- Create post-action data analysis reports to track impacts for internal and external use.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Applicants should have:
- Passion for the organization’s mission, understanding of political strategy, electoral process, and voter behavior.
- Proficiency in VAN, Excel, and experience with database management.
- Experience working for and/or volunteering on a campaign.
- Ability to work effectively with leaders and activists from both major political parties
- Ability to manage and lead people, relating on an individual level and in large groups.
- Strong writing and communication skills, including the ability to speak to groups.
- Ability to work with community members, grassroots leaders, elected officials, policymakers, the media, and other organizations.
- Good project management skills on complex issues with a focus on details, organization, and coordination.
- Problem solving orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to collaborate effectively.
- Ability to work under own initiative, as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and travel within Idaho as needed. (CVI is currently not permitting work related travel due to COVID-19.)
- Demonstrate cultural competency and a commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture.
- Degree in political science, public administration, or business administration.
- Five plus years experience in campaign management and involvement, including having volunteered, worked for, and managed political campaigns.
Qualifications and Competencies:
Manager: Organizes and owns projects for one area and drives the day-to-day work forward. Contributes as requested to organizational strategy. Manages individual contributors and supports them in achieving the organization’s annual goals. Has greater decision making authority than Associate/Coordinator positions. Requires general supervision. Has five years of similar experience.
Director: Provides vision, strategy, and direction in their area of work and manages appropriate staff. Responsible for holding teams accountable to the values and mission of CVI & CVIEF and ensuring collaboration within the organization. Requires light supervision. Has seven plus years of similar experience.
This is a full-time position based in Boise. Our full staff is currently working remotely due to COVID-19. We envision staff returning to the office once it is safe to do so with some ability to work from home or outside the office.
Hiring salary range is $42,200-$65,000 and will be dependent upon experience. Competitive benefits include Healthcare with CVI paying the full premium for the employee, Retirement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Reimbursement Account, generous time off including PTO, personal days, and holidays, and ability to work a flexible schedule.
CVI is committed to providing a fulfilling professional experience for our staff. Investing in our employees, supporting their professional growth, and creating a workplace that is committed to excellence and works to create lasting change for Idaho is the foundation of our work. All CVI employees have access to a number of trainings, workshops, and professional development opportunities relevant to their position and career goals.
This position requires some evening and weekend work.
Send a resume, three professional references, and a cover letter that addresses your interest in the position to email@example.com with the subject line “Campaigns Position.”